- over 47,500 applications were filed in the twelve month period ending March 31, 2008, reflecting nearly a 5% increase over the previous year
- Canada remains the most common country of applicant origin, with over 20,000 applications filed; the US placed second, with over 15,400 applications, while applicants from Germany, the United Kingdom and France rounded out the top 5
- despite the addition of 24 new Examiners, turn-around times between filing and first exam increased by approximately 1.6 months per application, with the average turn-around time being 6.8 months
- the number of Statements of Opposition filed increased by 25%, reversing declines seen in the previous three years
- in contrast, the number of Section 45 (cancellation) notices issued fell to its lowest point in three years
- interestingly, there was a 41% increase in the total number of trademark assignments filed with the Office.
Further details can be found in the full report, available here.